Sharon Crossland AIRPM
Leasehold Life started off as a simple diary to record the problems caused to our block (and in particular our flat) by having an absent freeholder and negligent agents, a story which starts here. Whilst researching the leasehold sector I was amazed at how fragmented the information was, and the constant moving between sites was confusing and time-consuming. In addition 17 of 22 flats were sublet and over time I found myself being approached by an increasing number of renting tenants with issues ranging from severe and ongoing disrepair to anti-social behaviour!
Today I have a total of 10 years of working within both the leasehold and the PRS sectors and Leasehold Life is the only information resource based on personal experience. I consider myself extremely fortunate to be able to present articles contributed by a number of industry professionals alson with summarised case-law updates, initially provided by Barrister Jonathan Upton of Tanfield Chambers) and now provided quarterly by Solicitor David Whitney of Painsmith Solicitors.
- I wrote experienced-based articles for News on the Block for a series entitled ‘From The Frontline’;
- I was interviewed by the Observer in their article ‘Managing to Overcome Rack and Ruin’ and in the same year was invited to be one of the contributors to the developing leasehold services of Hera Property Management Services;
- I contributed articles for the Association of Residential Managing Agents (ARMA), the trade body for managing agents and the Federation of Private Residents Association (FPRA) for their respective newsletters;
- I wrote a number of articles for hipconsultant.co.uk;
- I became an Affiliate of the Institute of Residential Property Management (IRPM) on the strength of my website and followed this by becoming an Associate;
- I was interviewed by Tessa Shepperson, Landlord and Tenant Solicitor as part of her ‘Notable Property Persons’ series;
- I was Interviewed by News on the Block as part of their ‘In Focus’ series;
- I have been quoted by property journalist Graham Norwood in his article ‘Send for the Peace Police’
- I have been quoted by Sarah Pennels, personal finance journalist and broadcaster in her article ‘Living in a Leasehold Flat: What Can You Do About High Service Charges?
- I was Invited to be one of the guest speakers at the 2013 ARMA Conference with my presentation transcribed into an article by Flat Living Magazine entitled ‘Lost In Translation’.
More Recent Events
- I was Invited to take part in a leasehold Q&A on Share Radio in with Michell Banks CEO of ARMA (at the time) and Tony Essien, Chief Executive of LEASE.
Suzanne Wickes: Managing Director at Hera Management Services
“Sharon’s in-depth knowledge of leasehold and in particular leaseholders’ requirements was invaluable when we were designing Hera’s services. Sharon provided us with a comprehensive article and information about what leaseholders wanted from a managing agent (based on feedback to her site) that has been used as a “blueprint” for our services to which we always refer back. I would highly recommend Sharon and would work with her again at any opportunity”.
Bob Smytherman: Chairman of the Federation Of Private Residents Association
“Sharon works tirelessly in the interests of leaseholders and RTM Directors providing good, sound practical advice about the RTM process and the responsibilities faced by those becoming Directors. Sharon’s web-site Leasehold Life provides essential reading for anyone interested in the leasehold sector and is always very happy to add contributions from the FPRA for which we are most grateful “.
Chris Alexander: Solicitor at SA Law
David Whitney: Solicitor at Painsmith Solicitors
James Cooke: Director of Your Home Property Management
“I have known Sharon for several months now primarily through her web site and her lively and informative Twitter account. In the time I have known Sharon I have found her to be extremely knowledgeable and informed on housing and property matters, and generally positive, hard working, responsive, and enthusiastic. Sharon is committed to improving the lot of residents of all tenures and for that she should be commended”.
Katie Cohen: Partner at Child & Child Solicitors
“I first came across Leasehold Life through the Enfranchisement Group on linkedin and made contact with Sharon with a view to JPC Law contributing enfranchisement related articles to the site. I was impressed by Sharon from the start. Her passion for leaseholder’s rights was unrivalled and the content of her site is both interesting and informative” .
Roger Southam: Non-Executive Chairman at Lease Advisory Service