Sharon Crossland AIRPM
Leasehold Life is a free online information resource, based not just on my experiences of working within block management and the PRS but also on extensive research.
It started out simply as a diary in the form of a blog; Life at Wellington Mansions, a story which begins here. However, whilst researching the leasehold sector I was amazed at how fragmented the enormous amount of available information was. Having to move between sites depending on the issues I was dealing with at the time was confusing and time consuming. As a result of the frustration I decided to expand Leasehold Life into it’s current form.
I now have a combined total of 14 years of working in the leasehold and PRS sectors. I work closely with the block managing agent, issuing instructions on behalf of the Directors of our freehold company. I also work with individual landlords, tenants and agents as well as the local council on issues relating to housing standards under the Housing, Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) both for the common areas and individual rented flats and landlord licensing.
I consider myself extremely fortunate to have specialist contributions from a number of industry professionals. Summarised case-law updates, (formerly provided by Barrister Jonathan Upton of Tanfield Chambers) are now provided quarterly by Solicitor David Whitney of Painsmith Solicitors.
- Started writing experienced-based articles for News on the Block for a series entitled ‘From The Frontline’;
- Interviewed by the Observer in their article ‘Managing to Overcome Rack and Ruin’ and in the same year was invited to be one of the contributors to the developing leasehold services of Hera Property Management Services;
- Contributed articles for the Association of Residential Managing Agents (ARMA) who are the trade body for managing agents and the Federation of Private Residents Association (FPRA) for their respective newsletters;
- Wrote a number of articles for hipconsultant.co.uk;
- Became an Affiliate of the Institute of Residential Property Management (IRPM) on the strength of my website and followed this by becoming an Associate;
- Interviewed by Tessa Shepperson, Landlord and Tenant Solicitor in as part of her ‘Notable Property Persons’ series;
- Interviewed by News on the Block as part of their ‘In Focus’ series;
- Quoted by property journalist Graham Norwood in his article ‘Send for the Peace Police’
- Quoted by Sarah Sarah Pennels, personal finance journalist and broadcaster in her article ‘Living in a Leasehold Flat: What Can You Do About High Service Charges?
- Invited to be one of the guest speakers at the 2013 ARMA Conference with my presentation transcribed into an article by Flat Living Magazine entitled ‘Lost In Translation’.
More Recent Events
- Invited to take part in a leasehold Q&A on Share Radio in with Michell Banks CEO of ARMA (at the time) and Tony Essien, Chief Executive of LEASE.
Suzanne Wickes: Managing Director at Hera Management Services
“Sharon’s in-depth knowledge of leasehold and in particular leaseholders’ requirements was invaluable when we were designing Hera’s services. Sharon provided us with a comprehensive article and information about what leaseholders wanted from a managing agent (based on feedback to her site) that has been used as a “blueprint” for our services to which we always refer back. I would highly recommend Sharon and would work with her again at any opportunity”.
Bob Smytherman: Chairman of the Federation Of Private Residents Association
“Sharon works tirelessly in the interests of leaseholders and RTM Directors providing good, sound practical advice about the RTM process and the responsibilities faced by those becoming Directors. Sharon’s web-site Leasehold Life provides essential reading for anyone interested in the leasehold sector and is always very happy to add contributions from the FPRA for which we are most grateful “.
Chris Alexander: Solicitor at SA Law
David Whitney: Solicitor at Painsmith Solicitors
James Cooke: Director of Your Home Property Management
“I have known Sharon for several months now primarily through her web site and her lively and informative Twitter account. In the time I have known Sharon I have found her to be extremely knowledgeable and informed on housing and property matters, and generally positive, hard working, responsive, and enthusiastic. Sharon is committed to improving the lot of residents of all tenures and for that she should be commended”.
Katie Cohen: Partner at Child & Child Solicitors
“I first came across Leasehold Life through the Enfranchisement Group on linkedin and made contact with Sharon with a view to JPC Law contributing enfranchisement related articles to the site. I was impressed by Sharon from the start. Her passion for leaseholder’s rights was unrivalled and the content of her site is both interesting and informative” .
Roger Southam: Non-Executive Chairman at Lease Advisory Service