[email protected]

Buildings insurance is a legal requirement and a condition of taking out a mortgage.
It will cover the fabric of the building (the roof, foundations, load bearing walls, gardens, landings, and stairways) and can also cover other permanent fixtures outside, such as gates, fences, drives and swimming pools. It will also cover any necessary repairs and redecoration to the interior of a flat as well as fixtures such as shower trays and baths (but the latter is a bit of a grey area).

It will generally cover against  ‘specific risk’ such as fire, flood, malicious damage, water leaks etc and extends to all areas of the building (including individual flats) as well as the following:

  1. Contents of Communal Areas: This can include items such as carpets;
  2. Trace & Access Cover: An important element because investigating the cause of a leak for example may involve stripping a kitchen to find and then repair a pipe;
  3. Accidental Damage to Underground Services and Cables: This insures gas, electricity, oil or water, as well as sewage pipes but does not insured against wear and tear;
  4. Emergency Repairs: Many policies cover the cost of temporary work.
  5. Legal Expenses: If this type of policy is issued solely in the name of the freeholder than this may not defend the management company;
  6. Lift Insurance: The law requires lifts to be inspected every 6 months by an approved ‘competent authority’ and appropriate reports to be held as confirmation.  It is also common to cover lifts against sudden and unforseen damage which can be extended to cover other machinery such as electric gates and automatic entrance doors. Cover is also subject to VAT at the current rate.
  7. Terrorism Insurance:Terrorism cover is not automatically included unless it is requested. Since January 2003, it has been offered on an ‘All Risks’ basis including damage caused by nuclear, biological and radiological and is designed to reflect the perceived danger of contamination caused by terrorist activities i.e. the fall-out from a ‘dirty bomb’.
  8. Public Liability Insurance: Flat owners, occupants, managing agents and freeholders all need to be protected from being held financially responsible for damage to the block and to persons. For example if a visitor to the property sustains injury after a trip or fall by slipping on a wet surface, they could possibly claim for compensation against the policyholder under the public liabilities section although of course, negligence would have to be proven.

Engineering Inspections

This is not technically considered as insurance but most highly regarded firms will provide this additional cover.
The most common covers available under engineering insurance policies are:

  1. Own Surrounding Property: Cover applies to boiler and pressure plant and covers damage to own surrounding property following the plant exploding due to internal pressure;
  2. Breakdown, Explosion and Collapse: This covers pressure plant for breakdown, explosion and collapse;
  3. Sudden and Unforeseen Damage:  Provides cover for risk including accidental damage, operator error, frost damage, leakage, cracking, fracturing and ingress of foreign bodies.

This cover aims to dovetail with the property cover to ensure that as many eventualities as possible are covered and it is recommended that this insurance be considered if you are not confident that the service charge budget can cover the costs of unplanned emergency repair work.


One excess that appears in almost all policies applies to damage caused by subsidence, heave or landslip and this is usually a specific amount.
The insurer might also offer a policy for a higher excess if it thinks there’s a greater risk of a claim being made- such as when a building requires insurance but it already has existing problems (something that happened with our block before we took over management then freehold ownership).
Alternatively a higher excess can be requested in order to obtain a lower premium.

Damaged Contents Owned By Residents

What buildings insurance does not cover is the the replacement of damaged contents owned by residents (except in certain circumstances). This should be covered by individual contents insurance (see below).

Who Insures The Building?

Buildings insurance must be the responsibility of the freeholder, the lresident management company or the managing agent acting for the freeholder.

If the responsibility to insure falls to the managing agent acting on behalf of the freeholder (and they also handle any other any other insurance-related matters that makes them meet the definition of a ‘regulated activity’) then they are required to do at least one of the following:

  1. Join the Financial Conduct Authority;
  2. Become the appointed representative of a broker;
  3. Join the RICs scheme which requires a joining fee, then an annual fee and the submission of detailed 6-monthly returns.

Visitors Online

Visitors online – 197:
users – 0
guests – 183
bots – 14

The maximum number of visits was – 2017-03-31:
all visits – 5594:
users – 8
guests – 1537
bots – 4049
browser – Chrome 41.0.2272.96
%d bloggers like this: