Our Third Landlord and Tenant Nightmare
This was a particularly sad experience. Brent Council housed a homeless young mother with a baby girl in one of the flats on an AST which basically meant they had decided she was able to handle a tenancy in a private sector flat. The first real dealings we had with her was when she came to us saying she had no hot water. So we took a look at her emersion heater. It had a tape joint on the mains supply associated with it and it was not evident how to switch it on or off, or if there was any timer facility for it. The only working heater was in the kitchen so a small electrical appliance was in use to heat the other rooms.
On closer inspection by our block contractors it transpired the main breaker panels in the living room totaled 3 in number which was far in excess of the need of any one-bed flat. One breaker seemed to be off but there was no telling what it supplied. With some of the cabling looking highly suspect in the kitchen there was no way the tenant should even attempt to turn it on.
On these findings I contacted Brent Council myself and requested a full wiring report and repair to be carried out by a Competent Person under Part P of the Building Regulations as a matter of extreme urgency. I also requested a copy of the gas safe certificate.
Unfortunately, due to what we considered an unacceptable response time to the situation we notified various parties of (including the leaders of both Brent and Waltham Forest councils), we again sent in our own contractors via our managing agent. It was discovered that the taped electrical joint around the boiler was found to be bare wires twisted together which had burnt out completely as evidenced by around the insulating tape. This was re-terminated properly in a connection box. Also the other storage heaters throughout the flat were powered up, at least providing warmth. The thermostat in the boiler had also blown hence the reason for their being no hot water.
The risk of fire or electrocution from the tape joint clearly placed the property in the category of ‘dangerous’ rather than sub-standard. It was our opinion that this flat should never have been placed on the books of any local authority without due diligence being carried out as to whether it was fit for purpose.
There was also the issue of severe mold found in the bedroom and more throughout the flat. From personal experience of mold issues in our own flat, this should have been easily avoidable with proper preparation of the walls prior to painting (possible even the installation of dry lining) and ensuring that the ventilation already built into the property was not blocked in any way. Which it was because the fireplace was blocked!
Tenant Starts Causing Problems
Unfortunately for us and despite our best efforts to settle her, it transpired she had drink, drugs and anti-social behaviour problems and she went steadily downhill, disappearing for over 48 hours at one point on a drinking binge which led to her ending up being reported as a missing person by her boyfriend and her younger sister, who took her daughter away to family.
So what did she do on her return? She hooked up with the alcoholic tenant (landlord and tenant 1) and her new ‘boyfriend’ turned out to be the violent drug dealer who had previously assaulted the alcoholic tenant in his own flat with a claw hammer and put him in hospital! She was seen shortly after his reappearance sporting a black eye.
We also had to call the police on her because she told another tenant she was going to come and ‘knife’ me, a threat they took seriously.
Eviction Process Started
Whilst all this was going on I was pushing Brent Council for the tenant to be evicted. I had hoped that the landlord would have been sympathetic to the situation but when I called him he said it was nothing to do with him! Which it was! I copied him on every e-mail I sent to concerned parties and in the end he ensured that his e-mail address was no longer in use and all my e-mails got sent back to me!
I had to continually chase Brent for updates and what grounds the tenant was being evicted under and she was eventually served with a ‘Notice seeking Possession’ under s8 of the Housing Act 1988 (rent arrears) along with the following grounds 12, 13, 14a and 14b also being cited.
After all the grief that was caused, there was no fanfare, or bailiff action. The tenant simply disappeared. The state of the property was however a complete nightmare.
The following photo’s showed what the flat looked like when she moved in and the latter photo’s show the collapsed bathroom ceiling into the flat below (something at least which wasn’t her fault!)
There is now a new owner and another tenant with a young daughter in situ and they are lovely! Both parties!